The 22nd annual Mayor’s Back to School Fair presented by Walmart is scheduled for Friday, August 3 from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. in the Centennial Building at Fair Park in Dallas. The free event provides schoolchildren and their families with school supplies and other back-to-school essentials necessary to return to school ready and equipped for a successful academic year. The Fair is a collaborative effort between the City of Dallas, Dallas-area schools, public health department, state agencies, nonprofits, corporations, and community volunteers. Families must either pre‑register before the fair May 15 – July 28, or register on‑site at the Fair on August 3 to qualify and receive free school supplies.
SCHOOL SUPPLIES AND SERVICES PROVIDED AT THE FAIR
- Free school supplies are provided to approximatively 15,000 Dallas students in need in PreK through 12th grade
- Free uniform tops provided by Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation
- Free dental health checks with fluoride varnishes, free toothbrushes and toothpaste for students
- Free immunizations for schoolchildren
- Free BMI, glucose and kidney health screenings for schoolchildren and their families
- Free haircuts will be provided to schoolchildren
- A family friendly event, the Fair will feature musical entertainment, kid’s activities, book giveaways, games, and interactive demonstrations and booths giving out additional school supply items
- Community resource booths at the Fair will offer an array of bilingual information from educational, social, government and community organizations. Community resource booths include information on educational institutions and programs, job recruitment, college readiness, out of school learning, housing, food assistance programs and services, personal finances and more. City, county and state agencies provide information on public and fire safety, public transportation, library services, youth services and more.